1000 Books before Kindergarten
1000 Books Before Kindergarten is a free program offered by the Irvin L. Young Memorial Library that invites caregivers and children to share books every day. Research shows that the more children are read to before entering school the more ready they are to learn once they get there. Not only will reading to your child every day help them learn but it provides you with a fun, free activity that the entire family can enjoy. Would you like to participate? Here are some easy instructions to get you going:
- Stop into the library and pick up your registration packet and reading log.
- Read together. And then read together again!
- Every time you share a story, color in a paw print on your reading log.
- Once you have read 100 books, bring your log back to the library to receive a Wisconsin animal sticker and your next log.
- Repeat steps 2-4 and collect all 10 Wisconsin animal stickers.
- Once you have read 500 books you will receive a tote bag for all of your library books.
- Upon completing the program, your child will:
- Select one picture book to keep.
- Have made wonderful memories of sharing books with you.
- Be more ready to enter school and learn.
Stop into the library and sign your child up today!